History

 

Bowman Feed and Supply has a long history in the community of Wheatley, ON. It was originally built by Major Thomas M. Fox, already the proprietor of a saw mill who began the flour mill in Wheatley in 1860..the first flour mill located here. He continued to operate it until 1890. It was then Dan Omstead became the owner and the site continued to be known as the Wheatley Flour Mill. The mill produced very fine flour. There were other owners before Cameron Whitesell bought the property in 1921. A gas explosion caused a spectacular fire at the mill in 1929.

 

Between 1941 and 1942 the old mill was torn down and Mr. Whitesell re-built. He used his own design, set up all of his own machinery and elevators and finished with a very modern mill. 

 

In 1952 the mill was sold to the Roy & Jessie Bowman family. The oldest son Grant came back from the RCAF after the sudden passing of his father Roy to help his mother Jessie run the business later in 1952. It was in 1964 Bowman Feeds Ltd. added a new brick building to act as an office and storefront. In 1990 Grant's son Jeff took over management of the business and in 2012 Jeff purchased the company from his father and the name was changed to Bowman Feed & Supply.

 

Today the Bowman family continues to play active roles in various organizations in the village and the Municipality of Chatham-Kent.

© 2014 Bowman Feed & Supply 

117 Talbot Street E.,

Wheatley, ON

N0P 2P0

519-825-4122

  • Facebook Clean
Bowan's Feed 1988